If you are looking for a reliable fitness machine that just might last a lifetime, you should learn more about the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 upright exercise bike. This piece of equipment is a Schwinn dual action exercise bike that is known for being extremely resistant throughout the years, with original models built and sold in 1977 still being successfully used today. This goes to show that some exercise bikes do not need to be upgraded in time; if they were carefully planned out and executed at their time, they really will become classic and trusted fitness cycles.
When analyzing the level of satisfaction in Schwinn Airdyne AD4 exercise bike reviews, you will soon notice that complaints are virtually inexistent. Schwinn fitness equipment reviews for the Airdyne AD4 model express almost nothing but happiness, after as much as 20 to 30 years of usage. If you want to know more about the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 pros and cons, where you can find this exercise bike, how much it will cost you, what warranty is available and more, consult our complete Schwinn Airdyne AD4 fitness equipment review.
What is the Schwinn Airdyne AD4?
The Schwinn Airdyne AD4 fitness machine is an upright exercise bike that uses an original air resistance system (as opposed to the traditional magnetic resistance system, present in models like the Schwinn 112 upright exercise bike). In other words, its entire mechanism works according to your pedaling. All you have to do is plug the machine in and pedal slowly for light resistance or faster for hardcore workouts. Schwinn fitness equipment reviews generally highlight this feature, as you don’t need to adjust your resistance levels with any other buttons or knobs; just pedal as much as you want to work. As a result, the number of resistance levels is endless (a feature you cannot obtain from magnetic resistance systems, which have a limited number of resistance levels).
The Schwinn Airdyne AD4 upright exercise bike operates with a dual-stage chain and belt drive and has two workout programs, unlike other Airdyne models such as its predecessor the Schwinn AD2 Airdyne or its newer AD6 Airdyne model. It weighs 96 pounds and measures 22.5 x 48 x 50 inches. Schwinn Airdyne bike reviews for the AD4 model mention that the piece of equipment can literally last for decades; that is just how durable it is.
Pros and Cons to Using the Schwinn Airdyne AD4
- Long life
- Simple assembly
- Durable and stable
- Very user-friendly
- Versatile – programs for upper and lower body or just upper body
- High-quality materials
- Fan wheel provides cooling
- Easy to read LCD display that ads out time, distance, calories, calories per hour, RPM, workload, heart rate
- Very smooth and satisfying operation
- Useful for various purposes: weight loss, physical therapy, general fitness, heart rate training, performance training, low impact exercise, knee rehabilitation etc.
- It has an impressive 30-year warranty for the frame
- Might be a bit noisy compared to newer models of its class
- If purchased on Amazon, it can only be shipped to 48 states (it cannot be shipped to Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico)
- The seat might not be comfortable for all individuals, so make sure you adjust it properly.
Where to Find the Schwinn Airdyne AD4?
Amazon is the most trusted source for purchasing the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 for sale, and it costs about $750 if you purchase it there. The Schwinn Airdyne AD4 is currently unavailable on Amazon. Check back to this article to see when the product is available again. We will update this review as soon as it is back in stock. If you want a used Schwinn Airdyne exercise bike, you can search platforms such as eBay for the best deals.
Details.com provides three amazing workout routines that you can carry out with the Schwinn Airdyne AD4. These routines are designed to push your limits and get the best out of a workout session.
- The first routine is recommended for those who generally lift weights. When you are done with your session, take twenty minutes to work with your Schwinn Airdyne AD4. After that, the article explains that you should “pedal and pump your arms as hard as you can until you burn 20 calories. (Shoot for under a minute.) Rest for 2 minutes. That’s 1 round. Do 7 rounds.” It might seem like an intense routine, but works fantastically for enthusiastic fitness goers.
- The second routine involves giving your all for a short period of time to push your endurance levels. All you have to do is pedal your heart out for 60 seconds, burning as many calories as you possibly can. If you do not feel completely exhausted at the end, it means that you did not push as hard as you should have.
- The third routine can be carried out to burn calories after a regular weight lifting workout session. Try to burn 1 calorie per second until you reach 50 calories and rest for another minute before repeating. When you get to pedaling again, do it for 40 calories, and then repeat the process for 30, 20 and finally 10, with breaks equivalent to the time it took to complete the rep. The entire routine should take twelve minutes at the most.
One of the greatest parts about the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 is that it requires very little maintenance, with a lifetime for up to tens of years (one Schwinn Airdyne AD4 Review reported frequently using the fitness machine for 30 years, and it still works). The bike chain may require the occasional greasing. You’ll know when it’s time to lubricate the chain when the bike becomes unusually loud.
There are no accessories for the Schwinn Airdyne Ad4 model.However, you will require two AA batteries for it to work. These are not included when you order the product. According to consumer reports, the battery life for Schwinn Airdyne AD4 is pretty long. Thus they won’t wear out too quickly or require a very frequent replacement.
Warranty and Guarantee Information
Customers are delighted when they discover that the frame of the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 has an astonishing 30-year warranty. Even more so, the electronics and parts enjoy a 3-year warranty each. The labor and wear items have a 1-year warranty.
Any Customer Complaints?
As opposed to most exercise bikes, the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 really has no significant customer complaints. The only slight downsides that are mentioned in reviews is that it can get a bit on the noisy side. Users recommend greasing the bike chain when this happens. Some users also mentioned the seat might be uncomfortable for some. The Schwinn Airdyne AB4 might not be the best choice for shorter individuals, as the machine is quite tall and large.
Our final verdict for the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 is a definite yes. It is a timeless piece of fitness equipment that you can count on for years and years without it breaking down on you. The fact that it was designed decades ago proves its reliability and also allows you to enjoy a quality exercise bike for an excellent price. We would recommend the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 for anyone looking for a trusted cycle for general fitness without having to buy another one after a year or two.