Gym equipment manufacturers are always seeking to make their products stand out in the market and Nautilus, Bowflex’s manufacturer is no different. Bowflex Ultimate 2 was manufactured in mid-2000s and was seen as a replacement to the Bowflex Ultimate Home Gym. Its features are similar to those of its predecessor and a few upgrades to justify its considerably high price.
The Bowflex Home Gym is a perfect option for advanced users seeking to work out every muscle group and also receive a good workout without having to visit a gym or health club. This article offers a clear overview of the Bowflex Ultimate 2 Home Gym, its features, and recommendations.
Bowflex Ultimate 2 Home Gym Main Features
It offers a wide range of exercises (over 95) which allows the user to train almost all major muscle groups. Its patented power rods provide resistance that feels almost as good as free weights. However, unlike free weights, the patented rods function without inertia or the risk of joint pain normally associated with free weights. The power rods are so strong that you can flex them repeatedly without them wearing out.
The Ultimate 2 includes a cardio rowing machine that will assist you in creating a cardiovascular workout on the machine as you progress with your strengthening exercises. It allows for a maximum user weight of about 310 pounds. The overall construction of the Ultimate 2 includes an adjustable main pulley system and a no-change pulley system that does not need to be changed after every workout. This helps maintain your heart rate and also saves on time.
The Ultimate 2 Home Gym is slightly shorter than the Bowflex Ultimate is as it is 82” tall, 46” wide and 92” long. It is ideal for both beginners and advanced users, as it does not require a professional trainer to help you use it.
Bowflex Ultimate 2 Home Gym Additional Info
How do you maintain your Bowflex Ultimate 2 Home Gym to ensure it is at its maximum performance? Begin by regularly inspecting your gym for any loose or worn out components before using it. Tighten all loose components and replace any worn out components. After use, ensure that you clean the bench using a non-abrasive cleaner. This will help maintain the appearance.
Review all warning notices and incase of any repairs use components authorized by the manufacturer. Try not to use automotive cleaners as they can make your bench look too “slick.” Fortunately, the components of the Ultimate 2 do not require regular replacements unless they are worn out. Their replacements are available in most physical and online gym stores.
The Bowflex Ultimate 2 comes with a limited warranty of 12 years on the gym and a lifetime warranty on the Power Rods. The company also offers a 6-week guarantee and will gladly refund your full cost if you are not satisfied by its features or performance.
On the other hand, the refurbished model comes with a 6-month warranty.
The Bowflex Home Gym comes with several accessories such as the leg extension, which helps develop strong legs within a very short period of time. It has an integrated squat station that helps tone hamstrings, quadriceps, calves, and gluteus maximus. It has a preacher curl attachment that allows you to effectively strengthen your biceps.
The Bowflex Ultimate 2 comes with an optional Ab Crunch Attachment and a DVD Player, which is also optional. The machine provides three suitable positions where you can position the DVD Player for the best viewing angles.
The Bowflex Ultimate 2 is ideal for abdominal exercises such as trunk rotations, reverse crunches, standard oblique crunches. It is also ideal for shoulder, back, chest, arm and leg exercises.
You can start with a 20-minute body workout:
• Bench press 1-2 sets, 10-15 reps
• Seated lat rows 1-2 sets, 10-15 reps
• Seated biceps curl 1-2 sets, 10-15 reps
• Leg extension 1-2 sets, 10-15 reps
• Seated calf press 1-2 sets, 10-15 reps
• Low back extension 1-2 sets, 10-15 reps
• Resisted abdominal crunch 1-2 sets, 10-15 reps
As you proceed, you can increase the workout time from 20 minutes to 35-45 minutes.
Bowflex Ultimate 2 Home Gym Pros and Cons
Like most Home Gyms, the Ultimate 2 has numerous advantages and few drawbacks. These include:
• It offers over 95 exercises, which enables the user to train almost all major muscle groups.
• Its patented technology allows the user to easily move from one muscle group to the other.
• The machine is comfortable and safe even for users experiencing joint problems.
• It produces results that are visible even within a few weeks.
• The Ultimate 2 comes with an informative DVD that demonstrates the capabilities of the gym and explains how each exercise benefits the user’s body. It also assists users to program specific workouts in their schedule to achieve their set goals.
• A detailed manual allows the user to easily assemble the gym even with its many parts.
• Its construction is high quality and durable. It provides stability and safety even for heavy users.
• It can be folded up and moved from one room to another.
• The Ultimate 2 comes with a 12-year warranty and a lifetime warranty on the rods.
The Ultimate 2 Home Gym also does not lack a few drawbacks, although they are minor issues that should not alter your decision to purchase it. The drawbacks include:
• Even after folding it up, the Ultimate 2 Home Gym is still quite large which makes it difficult to move it through doorways or cramped spaces.
• Being a large unit, the Ultimate 2 needs assembly before it is ready for use. This may consume a lot of time and effort just trying which component fits where and which one does not. It might take days to assemble the whole unit.
• While it’s seen as a space efficient home gym, many users find it larger than what they expected after assembling it fully. Having said that, it is advisable that you consider your available space before making a purchase.
• Unlike the expectations of many, the Ultimate 2 home gym has standard features that you can easily find in a midrange gym. It may not match features /amenities found in a state-of-the-art gym.
Users find it to be an efficient machine but with very few drawbacks. Most users found it to be strenuous especially when it came to assembly of the machine. It’s annoying and time-consuming especially if you try assembling it using the tools provided.
Other reviewers found it to have a solid and heavy construction. They said that the machine is very stable and very unlikely to fall. However, the solid and heavy construction comes at the expense of maneuverability. Overall, most of the reviewers found it to be comfortable and durable.
If you are more interested in enjoying the convenience of having a hassle free workout at home than signing up in a health club, then the Ultimate 2 is an ideal choice for you. It is a better buy than most of its competitors as it includes over 95 exercises and the capability to handle 310 pounds. The Ultimate should be your first choice if you are looking for a safe way to workout at home without joining a health club.