Schwinn has been producing training bicycles and elliptical machines for years. The Schwinn 420 elliptical was an improvement on the 430 version made in 2011. This product has been popular mainly because it is cheaply priced, and can work just as well as higher priced ellipticals. For a mid-range price, you will get 16 levels of resistance with Eddy Current Breaking, ergonomic handles, upper body incorporation, 18” stride length, and heart rate monitoring. It is recommended for beginners and people who are working on a tight budget. Next is a little more information about the Schwinn 420 elliptical.
Schwinn 420 Elliptical Main Features
Inexperienced users will find the Schwinn 420 elliptical quite useful. The exercises are not very difficult, particularly as it lacks incline ability. It also comes with 16 pre-determined workouts that can be helpful for beginners. These activities include fitness texts and course profiles. It also has a heart rate program that uses the built-in heart rate readouts feature of the elliptical. You can, therefore, customize your workouts.
The machine has 16 computer controlled resistance levels that make it run smoothly. Its standard 18-inch stride length also improves the workout experience. To make it even more comfortable as a training tool, the manufacturers used the BioFit design to make the footpads and handlebars more comfortable to use. With this machine, you can pedal forward and backward to target specific muscle groups. The ergonomic handles also allow users to workout in multiple positions.
People under 5 feet should be careful not to lean too much as they use the moving arms since this could injure the back. The dimensions of the Schwinn 420 elliptical are 62” by 26” by 71,” and the foot pedals are 10 to 18 inches off the ground. The Schwinn 420 elliptical weighs 164 pounds. Also, the maximum user weight recommended is 300 lbs.
Schwinn 420 Elliptical Additional Features
Maintaining a Schwinn 420 elliptical is not a hard job. You need to clean the display and accessory consoles once every week. The machine should be inspected once a month. Being a Schwinn product, spare parts of the 420 elliptical are highly available. You should contact an authorized service technician for replacement parts and repairs. That said, the Schwinn 420 is made by an old and reliable company and is, therefore, quite sturdy.
The warranty agreement covers the electronics in the machine for a year. The frame is under a 5-year guarantee while labor and parts are covered for 90 days.
The Schwinn 420 comes with the following accessories:
• Book holder
• Water bottle holder
• LCD console display
• MP3 compatible sound system
• Built-in and custom programs
• Built-in fan
• 16 workout programs
The Schwinn 420 is meant for beginner exercises. That said, many people will find them challenging since exercise is never really easy. With this machine, you can work the upper part of your body. It is not necessary to spend more than 40 minutes every day working out on the elliptical. Beginners are also not advised to start off at such high intensities since they will get discouraged and give up. Spending 15 minutes on your workout is sufficient for a start.
Schwinn 420 Elliptical Pros and Cons
Like all products, the Schwinn 420 elliptical has its strong points and its weaknesses. This list should guide you in your buying decision.
• Affordable- The Schwinn 420 is not the cheapest elliptical in the market. It is, however, one of the best-priced products for its wealth of features and the high quality.
• Multiple workout positions- With this product, you can adjust your workout positions using the ergonomic handles.
• BioDyne and BioConnect Feedback functionality- These features allow you to target specific muscle groups by pedaling forward and backward. The flywheel and computer controlled resistance levels also help to add comfort.
• Display and console- The LCD shows time, interval time, course profile, resistance level, calories, pulse, speed, distance, watts, and RPM.
• Entertainment as you work out- The Schwinn 420 elliptical includes entertainment features to motivate you in your exercise. It features a built-in audio port for you to play music or run an audio book as you perform your workouts. The motors are also silent when running.
• No incline ability- The Schwinn 420 has no incline ability, and this reduces the complexity of exercises that you can perform.
• Not easy to assemble- Putting everything together can take up two hours of your day. It is unlikely that you will be able to do it on your own. Most people will need an extra hand.
• Warranty package is below average- Most warranties cover the frame for a lifetime.
• 18-inch elliptical path- The 18-inch elliptical path will make very tall people struggle to use it. At the same time, very short people will have trouble using the moving arms and can easily injure themselves as they bend over. This limits the height of users to between 5′ and 6’4”.
• Low volume MP3 speakers- The speakers are too silent for many users.
• No backlight on the LCD- Because of this, you will have to use it in a well-lit room. In many cases, the display will not be clear.
The Schwinn 420 elliptical has been on the market for quite some time now. Many users have reviewed the product, and some of the sentiments are prevalent in the subsequent section.
Most users are happy with the strength and sturdiness of the machine. It appears most of them have had it for several years without experiencing any damage or reduction in performance. Many have not even had to perform any maintenance on it. However, some of the users complained about a squeaking noise that is produced as the machine runs. They also pointed out that the fan is poorly made and basically useless, especially for short people. It has also been noted that the display is hard to read.
Users also found it quite simple to use; and therefore, great as an entry level product. It does not have lots of confusing extras. Users who have limited space in their houses also appreciated the small size of the machine.
The Schwinn 420 elliptical is the best machine you will currently find at that price. It is great for people who are new to these kinds of workouts and those with limited budgets. It also carries lots of features that are unavailable in many similarly-priced ellipticals. For example, BioDyne and BioConnect Feedback functionality are unavailable in many budget elliptical machines. It also comes with a heart rate monitor, a feature that is only found in expensive machines. The Schwinn 420 elliptical machine is, therefore, worth buying.