If you want to start a home gym, you likely want a setup that offers you maximum workout potential in a small space. The Body Solid EXM 1500 Home Gym is a compact setup that allows you to do crunches, high-cable exercises (like lat pull downs and triceps pushdowns), low cable exercises (like cable curls) rows, leg curls, calf presses, and more, and it can be used by beginners and advanced lifters alike. In this Body-Solid EXM1500S Home Gym review, we’ll look at some of the product’s main features and go over some of the most effective ways to use this home gym to develop the physique you want.
Body Solid EXM 1500 Home Gym Main Features
This home gym is fairly space-efficient, as when assembled, it is about three feet by four feet. It involves several workout features organized around a weight stack that reaches 160 pounds in 10-pound increments. While those of any fitness level from beginner to advanced can use this machine, advanced lifters who want to move more weight and/or perform more compound exercises may find that this setup does not suit their needs.
This home gym provides more exercise options than many other setups, which makes it particularly well-suited to those with minimal space, or those who want a full-body workout from one setup. It features a high cable with standard lat pulldown bar attachment, although you can substitute different attachments as needed. It also has a low cable with a straight bar attachment which is ideal for doing cable curls, and if you substitute a handle attachment, you could also do cable lateral raises.
This setup also has a leg curl and leg extension option with foam-padded leg rests, as well as a seated low row attachment, a chest press, and an ab strap for doing crunches. Its seat is generously padded and covered with high-quality vinyl.
Body Solid EXM 1500 Home Gym Additional Info
Now that we’ve been over the basics of this home gym, we will cover maintenance, warranty, product accessories, and recommended workout routines.
This product is fairly easy to maintain. It is important to wipe down the seat after use, as the buildup of sweat can deteriorate the fabric and cause damage. While cables typically last a long time, be sure to inspect them for any damage, as damaged cables are more likely to break. Parts should not need replacement, but you should be able to contact the company to replace broken cables. This product is compatible with most cable attachments, which can be bought easily at most fitness stores.
This product comes with a limited lifetime manufacturer warranty, which is fairly uncommon in home gym manufacturers.
This product comes with a lat pulldown, a straight bar cable attachment, and an ab strap. These are fairly standard cable attachments, and while you can get a good workout using them alone, you can expand your cable attachment collection to vary your workout. For example, buying a v-bar can let you do neutral-grip lat pulldowns, and if you buy a tricep rope, you can do rope tricep pushdowns and hammer-grip cable curls.
The Body Solid EXM 1500 Home Gym can give you a quick full-body workout. You can do a whole body circuit by doing each of the following exercises in a rep range of your choice. Once you have finished the circuit, simply repeat it again at least three times:
- Lat pulldown
- Chest press
- Seated row
- Bicep cable curl
- Tricep pushdown
- Leg curl
- Leg extension
Body Solid EXM 1500 Home Gym Pros and Cons
In this section of the Body-Solid EXM1500S Home Gym Review, we will look into some of the benefits and drawbacks of this home gym system.
- Comes with limited lifetime warranty. This is a major plus, as it means that the manufacturer can assist with replacing broken parts and fixing issues. Since few home gym systems have this feature, this sets the Body Solid EXM 1500 Home Gym apart.
- Fairly affordable. While this is not a bargain-basement priced home gym, it is very affordable considering the huge variety of exercises you can perform on it.
- Has large range of possible exercises. Many home gyms only offer a few exercise possibilities, which means you either need to buy more machines or settle for a workout that is less than full-body. This setup has more exercises than most home gyms.
- Very space-efficient. This unit takes up very little floor space, but still offers many exercises.
- Has all needed attachments and weights. Many less expensive home gyms have plate-loading technology but don’t include plates, meaning you need to buy them. This product has everything you need to get started.
- Very small weight stack. The weight stack only goes up to 160 pounds. While this may be ok for some users, experienced lifters or the naturally stronger may not have enough weight to do certain lifts.
- Cables are not adjustable. The high and low cable offer plenty of exercise options, but a fully adjustable cable would add significantly more possibilities.
Many users of this product have commented on its ease of use and on the benefits of its small frame fitting in small living spaces. Additionally, many buyers have noted that, while the manufacturer provides a list of exercises to do on the machine, you actually can do many more exercises. While most users are happy with the product overall, a common complaint is that it is incredibly time consuming to assemble, and the fact that it arrives in several different boxes complicates assembly for many. However, many have commented that the instructions are very clear and the seemly process is not necessarily difficult- it is just labor-intensive and tedious. Others have said the instructions are unclear and confusing, so ease of assembly will likely vary.
The Body Solid EXM 1500 Home Gym stands out in its class because of its generous warranty and because it offers a wide array of exercise opportunities in a small space. It provides everything you need to get started, and while it is suitable for all fitness levels, it may not be ideal for advanced lifters who need to move more weight. On the whole, this is a worthwhile product for many who hope to build a home gym.