Even if you have never used a pilates reformer before, you have probably seen it and if you have seen it, you can never forget it. Pilates reformers are massive machines that resemble rowing machines but are designed to build upon the fundamentals of pilates: strong care and balanced body. The following review outlines one of the new pilates reformers on the market: Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557. The Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 review will include product pros and cons, accessories, warranty, and a host of other useful information to help you make an informed buying decision.
Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 Main Features
Check price here:
To be clear, the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 is not a fitness fad, as pilates reformers have been around ever since the system of Pilates was invented by Joseph Pilates, back in the 1920’s. At that time, the machine was focused on back health and flexibility, but since then other workout routines have been designed around it that produce even more benefits.
Some of the main features of the Pro XP 557 include:
- 4 Levels of Resistance
- Aluminum Rails
- Solid Oak Backboards (Front & Back)
- Ropes, Straps & Headsets (All Adjustable)
- Comfortable Padding
- 15-inch Elevated Surface
- Foot & Hand Straps
- 300-Pound Capacity
The equipment also comes with workout DVDs, which feature over 100 exercises.
The Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 is not a small machine. In fact, it is one of the heavier models of Pilates reformers available today.
Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 dimensions are 100 ½ inches (Length) X 23.25 inches (Width) X 15 inches (Height). It weighs 133 pounds.
As Pilates can be quite demanding for some individuals, Pilates reformers, this model, in particular, is ideal for people who wish to get all the benefits of Pilates without any of the performance difficulties it often entails. The Pro XP 557 is good for:
People with health conditions like arthritis, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
- Those wishing to gain flexibility.
- Those wishing to improve their posture and balance.
- Those wishing to strengthen their core muscles.
- Those wishing to enhance their mind-body connection.
If you are interested in Aeropilates machines, you may notice the Pro XP 557 looks vaguely familiar. That is because it is an updated version of the very popular Stamina Aeropilates Pro 556. On the surface, there doesn’t seem to be much difference between the 556 and the 557.
However, one of the main differences between the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 556 and 557 is that the 557 is much more adjustable, thus making it suitable for a wider range of users.
Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 Additional Info
To achieve the best results out of this pilates reformer, regular maintenance is required. The following list provides some quick tips on how to maintain the machine and so secure its integrity for the long-term.
Replace worn or damaged components immediately before using the machine – check for worn out or damaged parts before each use.
All replacements should be done with Stamina Products.
After use, clean the machine with an absorbent cloth.
If you should spot any damage
Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 comes with a 5-year manufacturer warranty for the frame and a 90-day manufacturer warranty on all parts.
The following accessories come free with the purchase of the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557:
- Cardio Rebounder
- Removable/Adjustable Foot-bar
- Hand & Foot Straps
- Wall Chart (Exercise Display)
- Exercise DVDs
As with any workout routine, be it aerobic or anaerobic, an honest assessment of one’s physical skills at the moment must be measured. That being said, I suggest you warm-up properly if you decide to participate in the cardio & weight-resistance routines that the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 offers.
Some warm-ups include:
- Lower Body Stretch
- Floor Stretch
- Bent Torso Pulls
- Bent Over Leg Stretch
Some of the exercises you can perform with this pilates reformer include:
- Leg Raises
- Single/Double Leg Cardio Rebound (Lying)
- Seated Reverse Flys
- Lying Leg Press
- Lying Leg Rotations
- Standing Single Leg Splits
- Seated Rows
To bring the body back to its normal resting state and to bring blood back to the heart, it is highly recommended that you perform a cool-down routine after your workout. You can use the same warm-up stretches for your cool-down program.
Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 PROs & CONs
There are quite a few features that make the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 stand out from all other pilates reformers, as well as some features that make it less attractive than them.
The PROs include strong foundation, adjustability, smooth rollers, exercise capabilities, and comfort. The CONs include size, assembly, resistance, and price.
- Solid Oak Foundation: The Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 features a solid oak front and back giving it a really nice look. What is more, since oak is so sturdy it is able to comfortably support weights up to 300 pounds.
- Highly Adjustable: One of the best parts of this reformer is that every aspect of the machine can be adjusted to suit the needs of the owner – ropes, ankle & hand straps, and the headset can all be adjusted to fit various preferences.
- Smooth Rollers/High Rails: The aluminum rails on the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 sport smooth rollers allowing for “frictionless” exercise performance. What is more, since the rails are 10 inches longer than most of the other available reformer models, taller people can perform the exercises with relative ease.
- Multiple-Exercise Capabilities: Over 100 exercises can be performed on the Stamina Aeropilates XP 557 as it incorporates an elevated foundation, a cardio rebounder, and a foot & leg bar. Exercises ranging from cardio & resistance to flexibility & balance can all be performed with this model.
- Comfort: Almost every item on the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 needed to perform an exercise is covered in padding: glide board, shoulder pads, handles, ankle straps, foot & leg bar, and headrest.
- Size: The Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 is really big (100 inches long, 24 inches wide) and very heavy (over 100 pounds). This makes it hard to use in small spaces and difficult to move when it is necessary to do so.
- Assembly: There are many parts that come with the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 making it hard to put together. Although it does come with a manual, the number of pieces make the assembly process tedious. Its large size also adds to the difficulty level.
- Resistance: The Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 only allows for 4 levels of resistance training. While this is not that bad, it is also not that great as there is a limit to the intensity of the workout (i.e. as the owner becomes stronger, they can not continue to raise the resistance levels on the machine to suit their newfound strength).
- Price: As most pilates reformers are large machines with many mechanical parts, the price is usually higher than most other exercise and sports equipment. This is even more so for the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 as it is larger, has more parts & accessories, and includes a fancier surface (oak) than most other models.
Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 User Reviews
One of the most common attractions in most of the testimonials I read is in regards to the oakwood finish. Customers really like the way this machine looks in their workout room. Some have even stated that it looks more like a piece of furniture than an exercise machine.
Another widely discussed topic in regards to the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 is the ability to perform various exercise routines with it. Customers seem to love the fact that they can get a cardio workout, a weight-training workout, or a balance and flexibility workout with a one-time investment.
The third most common positive review of this Pilates reformer pertains to its accessories. Many customers love the fact that it comes with steel springs and tightropes, and padded head and backrests making it durable and comfortable at the same time.
The only complaint that customers seemed to have with the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 is the size. However, most of them were just warning readers that they should consider the dimensions of the machine (height, length, and width) before they purchased it – they should see if they have enough room in their house or apartment to fit it in comfortably.
Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 Verdict
Before you go, I have one more testimonial for you – my own.
If you are into pilates, and I mean you do it at least a couple of times a week, then the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 is your best bet. It is a strong and beautiful piece of exercise machinery that will last a long time if you maintain it properly.
The price is not that bad either. As compared with the high-end pilates reformers that you see in many Pilates studios, the price is minuscule (half the price, in most cases).
The ability to perform over 100 exercises on this reformer makes it a sort of all-in-one workout machine. On top of this, it has to be one of the most comfortable workout platforms I have ever used – sometimes it is hard to stay awake when I am resting between sets.
All-in-all the Stamina Aeropilates Pro XP 557 gets a thumbs up from my side for its value, durability, aesthetics, and multi-workout capabilities.