The Bowflex PR3000 home gym is an improvement of the PR1000. This home gym comes with a higher maximum resistance and more exercise choices. It is designed to offer enhanced low impact workouts. The compact home gym was created for those who need a home gym but are on budget. It utilizes power rod technology to offer an upgradable resistance of up to 310 pounds. Beginners can start training by adding power rods to the pulley system; start training with as low as 5 pounds.
Given its all-encompassing features, the home gym is ideal for beginners as well as advanced users. It is designed to offer strength for the lower body, the upper body and the abdominals. Here is a review of the Bowflex PR3000 in detail.
Bowflex PR3000 Main Features
The Bowflex PR3000 is a compact equipment measuring 83 inches high, 64 inches long and 41 inches wide. It is designed with more than 50 exercises enabling you to work out your lower, upper and middle body.
As mentioned earlier, the equipment used power rod technology. These rods offer enough resistance to the user offering an experience that one would get with free weights. However, unlike when one is using free weights, there is no inertia involved and thereby no joint pains. The rods produce up to 210 pounds of resistance. This resistance is upgradable up to 310 for advanced exercises. When training, one can start at any level of resistance and progress upwards.
The equipment is offered with a single revolutionary cable. This allows you change workouts and positions without the need to change the cable. The cable is ergonomically fitted to accommodate people of all statures. For a better workout, a multi-use hand grip is fitted; the grip is designed to enhance flexibility. There are upholstered roller cushions that function as comfy extensions for your legs during training.
This home gym is easy to use and therefore good for beginners. The ability to control resistance gives it an edge over other home gyms. You can use it for all levels of training from light exercises to advanced strenuous exercises.
The manufacturer advises ensuring that the cable and the pulley systems are in good working conditions before starting your training. You should also adjust resistance accordingly. Maintaining this home gym and keeping it in a good working condition is as easy as oiling the moving parts as from a few weeks of use. It needs to be cleaned to remove sweat, dirt, dust and debris that may build up with time. Parts are available online.
The Bowflex PR3000 is offered with a 7-year warranty on rods (which shows the confidence the company has on rods), a 1-year warranty on the frame and a 60-day warranty on parts.
This home gym comes ready to use out of the box. You will love the fact that it is easy to assemble the parts together. It is offered with handgrips and cuffs which easily fits on the user’s hands and attaches perfectly to the cables. Besides these, you can buy a tray to place your iPod or MP3 player to stay entertained during the workout. It has no water bottle holder or a fan; these can be bought separately and fitted on the home gym.
Recommended Workout Routine
The workout routine you adopt will depend on the part of your body you need to develop; entire body workouts are, however, recommended. Routines should involves crunch positions to build abs (for men) repeated for between 10 and 25 times, seated position for the back, incline and decline bench for the back, squat and prone leg extension for the legs. The moves should be repeated for between 1o and 25 times depending on the level of training you are on.
Pros and Cons
The Bowflex PR3000 has a host of great features and to an average person and to newbies, it is the complete package. Even then, there are still a couple of setbacks as discussed below.
• Bowflex Power Rod Technology: This offers convenience as the user does not need to change cables as they change workouts or positions. This keeps allows the user to stay focused.
• High number of exercises: There are more than 50 exercises that you can engage in. This is advantageous for those willing to gain strength and build all parts of their body.
• Spacious Working area: The working area provided by the Bowflex PR3000 is approximately 100 inches by 78 inches. This gives you enough room to flex.
• Adjustable benches: Irrespective of your size, the benches will accommodate you thanks to their height adjustability. Even better the benches are strong enough to accommodate individuals of up to 300 pounds.
• More resistance options: With the Bowflex PR3000, you can adjust resistance as you progress in your exercises. Beginners can start as low as 5 pounds. With an attachment, resistance can shoot up to 310 pounds.
• Mean warranty on frame and parts: While the rods are offered with a 6-year warranty, the frame is offered with only 1-year warranty which shows lack of confidence in its durability. Parts are only offered at 60-day warranty which also shows no confidence in their durability.
• No lat bar: pull downs are only accessible through a hand grip which is less convenient.
• Relatively low resistance: Unlike other machines that offer a resistance of 310 to start with and expand up to 410 pounds, the Bowflex PR3000 only expands to 310lbs from a starting resistance of 210lbs.
There is a host of reviews encouraging a potential buyer to go for the Bowflex PR3000. Most of the reviewers have observed that the machine is easy to use, takes up a small space when used at home and is offered at competitive prices. There are also reviewers citing that the machine is all-encompassing allowing athletes of different levels to train. The home gym works seamlessly, according to most reviewers.
However, there are complaints. The hook used to connect to rods is not effective when one is connecting multiple rods. Again, very active athletes observe that the resistance is relatively low.
All factors considered, the Bowflex PR3000 is a great piece of gym equipment offered at a great price. It is a great option for individuals on budget but still want to get a great piece of equipment for home or club use. Though you may need to dig into your pocket again for resistance upgrades, the machine will still feel great on the upgrades, better than buying a whole set of home gym. Occasional negative reviews can be expected but with good care, the equipment will last long and offer value for its price.